Liturgy of the hours (better known as the Psalms)

by Christine on December 16, 2011

This past weekend (December 3/4) was Scott’s 4th class.  As usual, he returned home excited & “pumped” about his new knowledge.  Of course he has qualified each class as “The best so far!” – I don’t know how each facilitator is going to outdo the previous one but so far, each one has.

Here’s a little about Sr Timothea (copied from the Denver Catholic Register), who was this weekends facilitator.

Sister Mary Timothea Elliott  (director of the Office of Christian Formation for the Diocese of Knoxville, Tenn

Sister of Mercy of Alma, Mich.
After professing vows in 1958, Sister Elliott taught elementary school in Michigan until 1964 when she graduated studies in theology. In 1974, she went to Rome to study sacred Scripture at the Pontifical Biblical Institute and received her doctorate there. Sister Elliott has served at the Pontifical Biblical Institute, at the Gregorian University, and at the Institute for Continuing Theological Education of the North American College. In 1999, she came to Denver at the invitation of Archbishop Charles Chaput. O.F.M. Cap., to be the founding chair of the Scripture department of St. John Vianney Theological Seminary. She wholeheartedly recommends the religious life as a fulfilling vocation.

“A religious vocation is a great gift of God, an invitation to a life of intimacy with him,” she said. “There is a great joy and encouragement in living a common life with others dedicated to His love and service. It is important to be generous, to follow Him when the call comes and not to delay.”

For anyone interested, you can find Scott’s note of this class here.

Scott has been faithfully praying the Liturgy of the Hours for almost a year.  However, being the tech-guy that he is, he’d do his morning & evening prayers using i Breviary on his IPad.  Now he’s having to learn to do it the “old fashioned” way and he is having a time of finding all the correct readings!

I have just recently started joining him with this practice.  However, I can honestly say that it’s not something that I accepted gladly & with a willing heart.  In the beginning I would simply leave the room for the few minutes it would take for him to pray.  Then I’d stick around and just stop what I was doing and respectfully stay quiet (but still impatient for “it” to end so that I could move on with my stuff.  The next step was actually sitting next to him and just close my eyes and meditate on the words of his prayers.

Early on in this process Scott had asked me to sit by him and pray with him.  But that didn’t work too well because I was never quite sure what my part was and I got too consumed by reading the right part at the right time and frankly got nothing out of it.  I think Scott felt the same way because after a few attempts, he stopped inviting me to join him.

Now we are gradually making the Liturgy of the Hours morning prayers part of our daily prayer life.  I’m able to follow along and grasp the contents – not just read the words.  It’s a learning process & I’m sure I’ll get better at it.  Occasionally I’ll pray the evening prayers also but at that time I’m busy being “Martha” and cleaning the kitchen!

Scott & I have been praying every morning together for several years.  We’ve been using the publication “The Word Among Us” for many years.  We have also been praying the rosary daily since we consecrated our home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in August of 2010 (and attend 1st Friday Mass as a result of this devotion).   The experience of this devotion deserves it’s own post… coming soon! (maybe)

My favorite part of our prayer time is praying the rosary.  We’ve developed a “system” where we’ve dedicated the first 30 beads each to a member of our family.  The next 20 are for various intentions.  We find that praying the rosary this way allows us to pray daily for everyone and all of our intentions.  I absolutely LOVE praying this way!

Prayer requests accepted!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Pat December 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm

What a great post! I don’t think I’ve ever read a post that ended with wanting to serve other people like this!

Christine December 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Thank you Patrick! One of our special beads on the 4th decade is for “all of our internet friends and acquaintances”… we’ve got you & Kim covered! 🙂

Pat December 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Some day we’ll meet in person!
Pax

Nydia December 31, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hey congrats on being an aspirant’s wife. I am a Deacons wife-we live in Columbia SC. It was neat to run across your blog—found it on the Unapologist’s site. Love Patrick. Feel free to email me. Steve was ordained in 2007 so it hasn’t been long.

Christine January 1, 2012 at 8:08 am

Thank you Nydia! If you’d like to contribute to my blog, please let me know – I’d love to have another woman’s perspective and also to know how the process differs in SC. Never met Patrick or Kim but they seem like really nice people!

April January 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Loved this post! My husband started praying the Liturgy of the Hours in August when his aspirancy began–and we (my 5-year-old son and I) have been joining him as well. I found that it enriched our Advent and Christmas season immensely.

We also have a very cute video of our son “leading” us in his own version of evening prayer. I’ll have to send you a link when we get it uploaded to YouTube.

Christine January 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hello April! Thank you for writing… I’d LOVE the link to your son leading you in prayer & if it be okay with you, I could put a link to it from my site.

Please let me know where you are from & how the program works in your area. If you’d like to write about it, I’d be glad to add it to my page as a blog. All contributions are welcomed! I think it’s so important for the wives of the Aspirants to share their journey!

God Bless!

Nancy January 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm

…..I do truly enjoy reading your post! My dear husband of 44 years feels called to become a deacon! He is in discernment right now, and is very loyal to his calling! As you can tell by how long we have been married, we are no spring chickens! That is of great concern, that he might be overlooked because of this! However, he is loyal and dedicated and is studying to become a master catichist during this time! (He is 64!) Now for our prayer request!
Our granddaughter Elizabeth has severe asthma! It is so severe that it is life threatening for her, and she has been hospitalized many times. She is on so many treatments and medications, and sees so many doctors I can’t keep up with all of them! She has just turned 13. She is an excellent student, a wonderful person, and has an “old soul”! She is loved by all, young and old! Now, here is something else that makes her so amazing! Despite the limitations of her disease, she is a synchronized swimmer for the Walnut Creek Aquanuts! This is considered one of the top teams in the US, and she swims on the A Team! Because of the type of swimming she does, she is kept in the water all the time, rather than in and out like divers would be, so her doctors all agree that this is the best possible exercise she could be doing! I guess being upside down in the water half the time is extremely strengthening for her lungs! She does this six days a week for four hours a day! Trust me, this is not a “grandma brag post”, as it might appear, but rather a prayer appeal, that all of her doctor’s , nurses, therapists, and all who come into contact with her will be guided by God’s loving hands! Could you please pray for our Lizzie? You may rest assured that I will be praying for you as well! Nanny

Christine January 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hello Nancy!

I asked my husband about the issue with age – he may still be chosen… it depends on his bishop. What he’s up against is that it is a 4 1/2 year program & then then the men are required to “retire” at 75.

I looked up Walnut Creek Aquanuts. Wow! Amazing that she can perform that sport with asthma – it has to be so hard but then again, maybe its a great exercise for her lungs!

Don’t be worried about a grandma brag post… I have 7 grandchildren & I have to keep myself in check all the time so that I don’t “bore” anyone talking of them & my love for them – it’s a natural thing to do! Grandkids are so much fun! Too bad we couldn’t of had them first!

We will pray for Lizzie & I don’t have to tell you but I will… trust in the Lord – miracles do happen (watch for an up coming post about a miracle in our family)

God bless & be well,